Skunks can not only be identified by their smell, but by their distinctive looks as well. There are many species of skunk but the most common is the striped skunk. They have a furry black body and white strips running down their backs. Skunks are about the size of an average house cat and weigh between 6 and 10 pounds and can grow to be between 13 and 18 inches in length.
Skunks produce a potent smelling, thick liquid from glands that are located at the base of their tail. They will spray potential threats with this liquid as a defense mechanism. Skunks are mostly carnivores and will feed mainly on rodents, insects, and eggs, but if available will also feed on fruits and vegetables from gardens.
Dangers Associated With Skunks
Skunks are carriers of rabies and other dangerous diseases. Along with carrying and transmitting diseases, they can also damage the structure of your home, and destroy lawns and gardens.
Preventing skunks from coming onto your property is difficult, but it is important to take the necessary steps to deter them.
Skunk prevention tips include:
- Place wire mesh or fencing around decks and porches to prevent skunks from getting underneath of them.
- If holes are present from skunks or other animals around sheds, garages, or other outbuildings fill them in.
- Make sure that outdoor garbage cans are placed a distance away from the outside of your home and that they have tight fitting lids.
- If possible place garden and compost areas a distance away from the outside of your home, and place durable fencing around those areas.
- Fix any leaky outdoor fixtures or hoses that skunks can use as a water source.
- Make sure that if you have chickens, that their coops are secure and that skunks can’t gain access inside.
- Place automatic light fixtures on the outside of your home, garage, and/or outbuildings to help deter skunks.
Treatment For Skunks
Removing skunks from your home and property should only be done by a trained professional. Skunks are wild animals and if they are cornered or feel threated they may bite, scratch, or spray.
At ChemTec we understand that having a skunk problem “stinks” and we are ready to help you remove and control these nuisance and damaging wild animals from your property. We can get rid of skunks through our animal control services. Our professionals have the experience and equipment needed to safely and humanely trap and remove nuisance skunks.
Latest News & Blogs
28 AugustWhat is the Best Way to Prevent Pest Infestations at Home?
Disaster can strike anywhere, anytime, and pest infestations are no…Read Post
14 AugustSigns of Pest Infestations to Look Out For
No homeowner wants to find out that they have an…Read Post
28 JulyThe Best Exterminator for Your Mosquito Problem in NJ
You trudged through the freezing cold winter months and are…Read Post
At ChemTec Pest Control, we operate under a singular ideal: If our customers aren’t satisfied, we aren’t satisfied either.
If you still have a problem with a pest after we have conducted our pest control treatment, just call us and we will come conduct another treatment for that pest for no charge as long as it’s within the warranty period. If after a warranty retreatment you are still not satisfied, we will return your money.
We mean business when we say we guarantee your satisfaction, but of course from a QualityPro Certified pest control business, you would expect no less.
Be sure to ask about our unlimited service options protecting you and controlling 60+ pests with guaranteed results.