While most spiders in NJ are harmless, some can be dangerous. If you aren’t sure which is which, you may need to call in a professional for safe spider removal.
NJ Spider Identification
You should stay clear of spiders until a spider removal specialist can help. But, to help you out, we have listed the identifying characteristics of several common spiders in NJ below.
House spiders are not a threat, but they leave annoying spent webs all over the interior of structures. Adults are:
- ⅛- to 5/16-inch long
- Yellowish-brown with chevron markings on their backs
- Whitish on their abdomens
Wolf spiders are relatively large and intimidating, but they’re harmless. In appearance, adults:
- Are ¼- to 1⅜-inches long
- Have spiny long legs
- Are dark brown with tan or yellow stripes or other markings on their stout body
Wolf spiders don’t build webs. In homes, they nest in dark, hard-to-reach places.
Black Widow Spider
This New Jersey spider species is poisonous but not aggressive. When identifying a black widow spider, you should look for the following characteristics:
- Shiny black with a red hourglass shape seen on the underside of a round body
- 1½- to 1⅜-inches long
Most bites happen accidentally when a person doesn’t notice a black widow in shoes, clothing, or out-of-the-way locations.
Brown Recluse Spider
Brown recluse spiders often rest in irregularly-shaped webs. Adults are:
- Poisonous but not aggressive
- Dark brown with a violin-like marking on the back
- ¼- to ½-inch long
Brown recluse bites cause tissue to ulcerate and become vulnerable to infection.
Dangers Associated with Spider Infestations
Although most spiders in NJ are harmless, there are poisonous species that can invade homes, garages, sheds, and other outbuildings. Other spiders are also a nuisance. Spider pest control services could be your best option for infestations.
Spider Pest Control and Prevention
Here are some ways to deter spiders in NJ from infesting your home:
- Seal cracks and crevices in the foundation.
- Install door sweeps under all exterior doors.
- Caulk any gaps found around windows and doors.
- Repair or replace damaged screens in windows and doors.
- Reduce clutter in storage areas.
- Close up outbuildings when not in use.
It’s smart to shake out your clothes and shoes before putting them on. If spiders are hiding in them, you need a spider pest control service.
Spider Removal in New Jersey
Outdoors, spiders are beneficial. But if they’re in your home, spider removal through a spider control expert is your best option.
The professionals at ChemTec Pest Control will be able to find, identify, and eliminate any New Jersey spider species that have decided to call your home their home. We can then provide year-round control services to prevent future spider infestations from happening.
For more information about treating spider infestations, including our natural and organic solutions, call ChemTec today!