There are few animals that are more despised by humans than mosquitoes. Not only are they impossibly annoying and widespread, but they are also very dangerous. Mosquitoes and mosquito-borne diseases cause millions of deaths around the world every year.
For this reason, it’s important to know not only how to identify these pests but also effective mosquito pest control methods to deal with them.
Mosquitoes are fairly easy to identify, as adult mosquitoes share the following characteristics:
- A mostly gray body
- A body covered with scales that can be whitish, green, or iridescent blue
- ¼–⅜ of an inch in length
- One pair of wings
- Legs that are long and thin
- Proboscis (nose) that is long and narrow and is used to feed on blood and other food sources
Mosquitoes are attracted to any area that provides them with easy access to water and food sources. Females will lay their eggs on the surface of:
- Standing water
- Bird baths
- Wading pools
- Pet bowls
- Clogged gutters
- Moist soil
It is only the female mosquito that “bites” people and other animals in order to feed on their blood. Both females and males can also feed on sources of nectar and of plant sugars, such as honeydew.
Mosquito bites are fairly simple to identify, because their bites will cause itchy, raised welts on your skin.
Dangers Associated With Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes can be incredibly dangerous due to their ability to carry and transmit serious diseases, including:
- West Nile Virus
- Zika virus
- Yellow fever
To learn more about diseases that mosquitoes can carry, you can visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website, either in the NIOSH section or the Zika Virus section.
Unfortunately, there is no way to completely prevent mosquitoes from getting onto your property, as they will travel many miles in order to find a blood source.
However, there are effective mosquito pest control methods you can implement that can limit their presence and the danger to you and your family.
Here are some of the most effective mosquito control methods:
- Remove as much standing water on your property as you can
- Store wheelbarrows, baby pools, and other similar items upside down
- Regularly change the water in your pet bowls
- Make sure your gutters are clean and unclogged
- Trim your lawn to prevent mosquitoes hiding in tall grass
- Reduce the amount of landscaping and vegetation on your property, especially flowering plants
- Ensure that all exterior doors and windows are sealed tightly and all screens are completely intact
The best way to control mosquitoes on your property is with the help of an experienced mosquito exterminator in NJ, because they will know how and where to effectively target mosquitoes on your property.
At ChemTec Pest Control, our mosquito pest control experts use a targeted treatment approach to control mosquitoes in specific areas of your outdoor property. Using these methods, we are able to use less product and prevent the drifting of pest control materials to other parts of your property or to your neighbors’ properties.
Our mosquito control services are available as a one-time treatment or in packages of 3 or 5 treatments per season. Contact us at ChemTec Pest Control today to learn more about mosquito prevention on your property!