Common house mouse
As their name suggests the house mouse is a species of mouse that can commonly be found invading homes and other structures, especially during the colder late fall and winter months. Over time house mice have become somewhat reliant on people for food, water, and shelter sources. Adult house mice have a dusty grayish colored body with a lighter cream colored belly. They can grow to be between 2 ½- 3 ¾ in length, not including their tail. They have a distinctive round body with small dark eyes; their large ears and tail are covered in a fine coat of hair.
Adult deer mice are slightly larger than house mice; and their bodies can reach 3-5 inches in length not including their tails. They have a brown to black colored body with white feet and a white underbelly. They also have big ears, and very large black eyes. Deer mice are most often found living outdoors in hollow trees, logs, and other rural areas; they will sometimes find their way indoors and will typically inhabit attics and other undisturbed spaces.
Dangers Associated With Mice
Having mice in your home can cause a lot of problems. Mice chew on things non-stop in order to prevent their front incisors from overgrowing; if they are in your home, they will destroy and chew through things like wires, pipes, drywall, flooring, furniture, clothing, pictures, and books. Mice control is necessary for situations such as these.
Along with damaging property mice will leave a trail of urine and feces wherever they travel through your home, and feed on and contaminate food stored in your kitchen and pantry areas. Mice are responsible for carrying and transmitting diseases that include Salmonella, Leptospirosis, and the very serious Hantavirus; they will also introduce other parasites like fleas and mites into your home. Its times like these where mice exterminators are essential for your family’s health
Preventing mice from getting into your home and taking up residence is important if you want to avoid the dangers previously mentioned.
Follow these steps to deter, prevent, and control mice from getting into your home:
- Make sure that any cracks or crevices in your home’s foundation are sealed; remember mice can squeeze through a hole the diameter of a pencil! Also, make sure that gaps found around windows or doors and spaces around utility entrances are also sealed or caulked.
- Reduce their access to water by fixing leaky pipes or fixtures within your home and make sure that gutters are clear and not collecting rain water.
- Limit food sources by storing food in the refrigerator or in sealed containers instead of out in the open on counters or tables. Pick up uneaten pet food.
- Reduce the amount of clutter found in storage areas like basements, attics, and closets; the less space they have to hide in the easier it will be to find them.
- Make sure that outdoors trash cans are stored a distance away from the exterior of your home and that they have tight fitting lids on them.
- It is also a good idea to trim back trees and shrubs from the exterior of your home and place woodpiles away from the outside of your home.
Mice Control & Removal
If you have mice problems, the best way to get rid of them safely and humanely is with the help of ChemTec’s professionals. The do-it-yourself mouse traps found at big box stores are generally not effective and do nothing to fix the how and why mice are entering your home.
At ChemTec our mice exterminators will find and remove mice and their nesting areas from your home through our year-round home pest control services. ChemTec’s home pest control services will give you peace of mind knowing that mice and other common household pests are not making their home in your home. It will also bring you and your family peace of mind knowing that you won’t have to ever worry about mice problems again!
For more information about how ChemTec’s mice control and removal services work, contact us today!
Additional Mouse Articles & Resources
Latest News & Blogs
28 AprilKissing Bug: NJ Dangerous Pests
Despite their pleasant-sounding name, kissing bugs have more than earned…Read Post
14 AprilMosquito Diseases in New Jersey
Mosquitoes are infamous for their annoying ability to ruin any…Read Post
Satisfaction Promise For Bed Bug Extermination Process in New Jersey
At ChemTec Pest Control, we operate under a singular ideal: If our customers aren’t satisfied, we aren’t satisfied either.
If you still have a problem with a pest after we have conducted our pest control treatment, just call us and we will conduct another treatment for that pest for no charge as long as it’s within the warranty period. If after warranty retreatment you are still not satisfied, we will return your money.
We mean business when we say we guarantee your satisfaction, but of course from a QualityPro Certified pest control business, you would expect no less.
Be sure to ask about our unlimited service options! They guarantee results protecting you and controlling 60+ pests with guaranteed results.