Everyone has heard of clothes moths, and while they may seem harmless, they are certainly some of the most annoying moths found in NJ. Female clothes moths lay eggs on fabric. When they are born, the larvae damage the natural fibers in the clothing to which they are attached.
Clothes Moth Identification
You can identify clothes moths by these characteristics:
- Long, narrow, buff-yellow wings
- Three dark spots on the front wings
- Hind wings fringed with hairs
- 3/8 to 1/2 inch in length from wing tip to wing tip
- Whitish caterpillars about ½-inch long with a black or brown head
The clothes moth caterpillar feeds on a variety of natural fibers, including:
If you see damage to these materials in your home, you may need the services of clothes moths control experts.
Dangers Associated with Clothes Moths
The clothes moth is not a danger to people, pets, or structures. The problem is their ability to damage clothing and other fabrics while feeding.
Clothes Moth Control and Prevention
You can prevent a clothes moth infestation by using these methods:
- Only store clothing that is freshly washed and free of any debris
- Store clothing in sealed plastic containers with locking lids
- Store furs in cold storage (less than 40 degrees)
- Lower the humidity levels in the basement and other storage areas by using dehumidifiers or air conditioners
- Regularly vacuum your home to remove pet hair, dander, and dust
- Seal any cracks and crevices in foundations and any gaps around windows and doors to prevent moths from entering
- Inspect used furniture or clothing purchases for signs of clothes moths before bringing them inside
Get Rid of Clothes Moths Today!
Clothes moths don’t transmit diseases to people, and they don’t bite or sting. However, they damage natural fibers in fabrics and other personal items. That’s why you should get rid of clothes moths as soon as possible. Prevent as much property damage as you can.
The professionals at ChemTec can help exterminate clothes moths in the New Jersey area and prevent their return with safe and effective year-round home protection plans. Simply contact ChemTec Pest Control today for more information about clothes moth infestations, control, and removal.
Latest News & Blogs
28 AprilKissing Bug: NJ Dangerous Pests
Despite their pleasant-sounding name, kissing bugs have more than earned…Read Post
14 AprilMosquito Diseases in New Jersey
Mosquitoes are infamous for their annoying ability to ruin any…Read Post
Satisfaction Promise For Bed Bug Extermination Process in New Jersey
At ChemTec Pest Control, we operate under a singular ideal: If our customers aren’t satisfied, we aren’t satisfied either.
If you still have a problem with a pest after we have conducted our pest control treatment, just call us and we will conduct another treatment for that pest for no charge as long as it’s within the warranty period. If after warranty retreatment you are still not satisfied, we will return your money.
We mean business when we say we guarantee your satisfaction, but of course from a QualityPro Certified pest control business, you would expect no less.
Be sure to ask about our unlimited service options! They guarantee results protecting you and controlling 60+ pests with guaranteed results.