Rats are a type of rodent, which means that their front two incisors continuously grow. In order to prevent overgrowth rats and other rodents constantly chew on items. This is bad news for the structure of your home and the belongings inside of it. Rats often enter into homes in the fall as they search for a place to nest and overwinter in that is close to food and water sources.
Norway rats are very common urban pests. They are brown in color with scattered black hairs running throughout their shaggy coat and they have a grayish-white underbelly. Adults range in size from 7-9 ½ inches, not including their short and thick tail, which is shorter than their body. They have small eyes and ears, and a short blunt nose. Norway rats are poor climbers due to their long and heavy body and are found invading the basements and ground floors of homes and other buildings.
Roof rats, also known as black rats or ship rats, are blackish brown in color and have a smooth coat. Their underside is gray, white, or black. Adults range in size from 6-8 inches, not including their long and scaly tail, and their nose is long and pointed. Their body is smaller and thinner than the Norway rat. Roof rats are great climbers and because of their climbing skills are also sometimes found in trees and in the attics of homes and other buildings.
Dangers Associated With Rats
Rats are carriers of disease and can pose a hazard if they are present in your home or business. Their constant need to chew can pose a serious fire hazard if they chew on electrical wires.
Along with damaging your home and personal belongings with their constant chewing; rats should be eliminated from your home because they carry and spread a variety of bacteria and diseases that are dangerous for people. Diseases they spread include: Lymphocytic choriomeningitis, Salmonellosis, rat bite fever, plague, dysentery, and Leptospirosis. They will also contaminate your food, food prep areas, utensils, and plates with their urine and feces; and introduce other parasites like fleas and mites into your home.
Rat prevention tips:
- Remove piles of debris from your yard and property and put piles of firewood a distance away from the exterior of your home.
- Outdoor trash cans should have tight fitting or locking lids and be kept away from the exterior of your home.
- Make sure that any cracks or crevices in your home’s foundation, around windows or doors, exterior walls, or utility entrances are sealed or caulked- especially if they are the size of a quarter or larger.
- Limit any water sources by fixing leaky pipes or fixtures within your home and make sure that gutters are working to direct rainwater away from your house.
- Limit food sources by storing food in the refrigerator or in sealed containers instead of out in the open on counters or tables. Fallen fruit and vegetables from garden areas should be cleaned up.
- Make sure that pet food is kept in plastic sealed containers and that any uneaten pet food is picked up.
Getting rid of and controlling rats in your home should be done by a professional. Pest professionals will have the knowledge, experience, and equipment to find and eliminate them as quickly and safely as possible. At ChemTec Pest Control we can eliminate a rat infestation from your home through our very effect and humane rat control services.
If rats have become a problem in and around your home contact the rat control experts at ChemTec Pest Control today!
Additional Rat Articles
Latest News & Blogs
At ChemTec Pest Control, we operate under a singular ideal: If our customers aren’t satisfied, we aren’t satisfied either.
If you still have a problem with a pest after we have conducted our pest control treatment, just call us and we will come conduct another treatment for that pest for no charge as long as it’s within the warranty period. If after a warranty retreatment you are still not satisfied, we will return your money.
We mean business when we say we guarantee your satisfaction, but of course from a QualityPro Certified pest control business, you would expect no less.
Be sure to ask about our unlimited service options protecting you and controlling 60+ pests with guaranteed results.