If you have traveled over the holidays in the past then you know just how busy the airports, planes and hotels will be. The holidays are one of the busiest times of the year for traveling which means you need to be well prepared prior to your departure. And we’re not just talking about being ready to go through airport security. A major threat during the busy travel season is bringing bed bugs home for the holidays (or after).
Before you head out the door, the NJ pest control pros at ChemTec Pest Control would like to share some tips that you should take into consideration in order to help avoid a bed bug infestation while traveling this holiday season.
- Pack your clothing in large plastic bags that seal shut like the Ziploc Big Bags. This will prevent bed bugs and their eggs from getting into your clothing and hiding out until you get home.
- Make sure that you learn the common signs of a bed bug infestation – dark fecal spots on mattress and sheets, light brown skin encasements, live bugs themselves which resemble an apple seed, and waking to red bumps, bed bug bites, that were not previously there.
- Learn all of the locations that bed bugs could be hiding so that you can inspect the rooms you stay in before spending the night – mattresses, headboards, night stands, upholstered furniture, baseboards, under carpet, behind mirrors, and in electrical outlets. A flashlight is a big help for inspections!
- Work from your suitcase rather than putting clothes in the dresser or armoire. Also, keep your suitcase up off the floor on a luggage stand for extra bed bug protection.
- Once you arrive home, wash all of your clothing right away on the hottest temperature of water allowed for the fabrics as this will kill off live bugs and their eggs. And don’t forget to vacuum out your suitcases before you store them away as an added precaution.
- Continue to inspect your home for any signs of bed bugs just as you did on your trip.
If you believe that your home may have a bed bug infestation after your holiday travels then there is no need to panic. All you need is a NJ exterminator to help you get rid of bed bugs. At ChemTec Pest Control we offer residents in Franklin Lakes, Clifton and throughout our NJ and NY service area, safe and effective bed bug solutions so that you can enjoy your holiday season minus the bed bugs. To learn more, simply contact us today!