We realize that spring feels like a long way off, but there is no better time to start thinking about spring than right now, especially when it comes to having a beautiful spring lawn. You may not realize it, but there are some things your lawn needs right now to get it ready for spring.
If you’re reading this before the ground has frozen, here are a few things you should make sure to do:
- It is important to give your lawn good fertilization at the end of fall and early winter to replenish nutrients that may have gotten lost during the summer. This will keep your turf grass strong while it waits for spring. This is especially true if you have a mixture of cool season grasses and warm season grasses.
- How you mow your lawn in late fall and early winter is a vital part of keeping a healthy lawn. We’ve probably passed the window for this strategy to help now, but it is a good idea to keep this in mind for next year. At the end of summer, and through fall, it is important to mow closer and closer to the soil as winter approaches. This gets your lawn prepared for a winter height. Long blades of grass are going to allow cold winter winds to wick moisture from the soil. It is important to prevent this. But, cutting your grass all at once in early winter can shock it and prevent new growth from happening. Slowly lowering your mower blade is a great strategy. Short grass has another benefit. When you keep your lawn shorter, you will prevent pest animals like voles and field mice from burrowing under your lawn to protect themselves from the cold winter temperatures.
If you’re reading this after the ground has frozen:
- Make sure your lawn is free of anything that is going to lay on it all winter long. Clutter, leaves, sticks, construction materials and debris should be picked up. This will prevent areas of saturation that can allow moss and mold to develop, and will also allow sunlight to feed your lawn.
- Reduce foot traffic on your lawn in winter to prevent damage to your turf grass and root systems.
- Obviously, try to avoid the lawn while plowing or shoveling snow.
If you need help keeping your lawn beautiful all year long, you can always reach out to us here at ChemTec. We offer our customers expert lawn care for every season. We would love to help you with yours.