If you are buying a home, termites could be your worst enemy
Causing billions of dollars worth of damage annually, termites can cause significant damage to your property if left unattended. Learn how the pest control professionals at ChemTec Pest Control can help protect your home.
If you are looking to buy a new home, chances are you are right out straight trying to keep all of your ducks in a row. With all that goes into moving, choosing just the right home, making sure bills are paid, addresses are switched over, things are packed and sorted, it all can be quite overwhelming. The last thing you want to do is finally get everything settled only to find out that termites have infested your new investment. Whether you are building a new home or looking at buying an existing one, it is important to know the signs of a termite infestation and how to prevent one from happening.
Signs Of A Termite Infestation
There are many signs that active termites leave behind, some of them are easier to see than others, and some need an expert eye to discern them. The following is a list signs to look for.
- Reproductive termite swarmers: When termite colonies become mature, they will send out reproductives (swarmers) to establish new colonies. These swarms only happen twice a year and are only out for around half an hour, so they are easy to miss. But if you see an assortment of transparent wings on window sills, decks, or other spots, then you have just missed a swarm, and it is possible that those reproductives have already started to make their new nests.
- Mud tubes: Only swarmers can fly. All other termites come up from the ground, and they cannot expose themselves to wind and sunshine. So they build mud tubes to get from the soil to the wood of your home. These may be apparent on the outside of foundation walls, usually in dark secluded areas.
- Outside damage: Dark, shady, moist spots on your home, especially if wood touches the ground, may show termite damage. This damage will look like your home has been attacked by a number of carving knives.
- Doors and windows that malfunction: If termites are allowed to do their dirty work for several years, you may begin to notice that doors and windows no longer work properly. They may stick open, or stick shut, or simply become difficult to operate.
- Ceilings, walls, and floors: If damage is extensive, structures may begin to sag and warp. This damage that looks like water damage may appear.
- Mazes inside walls: If you are doing some renovations, and you see mazes and tunnels inside a portion that is being ripped out, chances are there is a lot more damage just like that throughout your home.
Termite Prevention Tips
- Keep mulch at least 2 feet from the perimeter of your foundation or walls, or remove it altogether. Crushed rock is a good alternative that remains relatively dry.
- Firewood should be kept well away from your home and up off the ground. The same is true if you have construction materials laying around. Termites are drawn to any kind of wood.
- Trim bushes and other vegetation back from your foundation walls. This will allow for drying, which is less attractive to termites.
- Keep your yard clear of leaf piles, sticks, and other debris.
- Check roof areas and make sure there are no leaks.
- Check for leaky spigots and repair if needed.
- Make sure there is no water pooling up near your home.
How A Termite Prevention Plan Can Help Save Your New Investment
To prevent a termite invasion, one option we offer here at Chemtec is the Termiscope system. This uses a mix of termite feeding stakes installed discreetly around your property. These stakes come with a visual pop-up alert which gives an early warning sign.
A second option is the Sentricon® System with Always Active™. This is a termite baiting system that uses worker termites against the colony that sent them. Workers pick up the bait and carry it back to the queen. And when the queen dies, the colony dies.
Termidor is our third option for structures that have already been infested. EPA-approved Termidor is dispersed by a ChemTec Pest Control Termite Professional. There is no better way to arrest a termite infestation and prevent further damage.
Don’t take chances with a new home investment. Reach out to ChemTec today to learn more about our termite control options today.
Latest News & Blogs
28 AprilKissing Bug: NJ Dangerous Pests
Despite their pleasant-sounding name, kissing bugs have more than earned…Read Post
14 AprilMosquito Diseases in New Jersey
Mosquitoes are infamous for their annoying ability to ruin any…Read Post
28 MarchEco-Friendly Pest Control in New Jersey
At ChemTec Pest Control, we’ve been leading our industry since…Read Post
Satisfaction Promise For Bed Bug Extermination Process in New Jersey
At ChemTec Pest Control, we operate under a singular ideal: If our customers aren’t satisfied, we aren’t satisfied either.
If you still have a problem with a pest after we have conducted our pest control treatment, just call us and we will conduct another treatment for that pest for no charge as long as it’s within the warranty period. If after warranty retreatment you are still not satisfied, we will return your money.
We mean business when we say we guarantee your satisfaction, but of course from a QualityPro Certified pest control business, you would expect no less.
Be sure to ask about our unlimited service options! They guarantee results protecting you and controlling 60+ pests with guaranteed results.