These small and brown woodland rodents live in burrows in the ground. While they seem cute and harmless at first, they can quickly become a threat to your home. Because of the damage they can cause, chipmunk removal is definitely a necessity.
The First Step to Chipmunk Control: Identification
Before discussing chipmunk removal, we have to identify them. Weighing in at about 3 ounces, chipmunks also have:
- Brownish-red bodies about 5 to 6 inches long
- Flattened hair tails about 3 to 4 inches long
- Stripes running down their backs: two light-brown stripes and five blackish stripes
- Stripes on the sides of their faces: two tan stripes and two darker brown stripes
The chipmunk is a ground-dwelling rodent. They create burrows in or under:
- The foundations of buildings
- Decks and sheds
- Wood piles and brush
The burrows contain nesting areas, food storage areas, and escape tunnels. They do not nest in trees, but they will climb trees in order to hide and to get away from predators.
Chipmunks carry food and other items they collect in their furred cheek pouches. As omnivores, they feed on a variety of foods, including:
- Plant bulbs
Damage Caused by Chipmunks
Outside of the structure of your home, chipmunks can damage:
- House foundations
And if they are living inside the walls or attic of your home, chipmunks can:
- Damage structural elements like wiring, pipes, and insulation
- Leave trails of feces and urine
Chipmunk control and prevention can be difficult, but you can deter them from your home and property by:
- Making sure that garbage cans have tight-fitting or locking lids on them, and are stored away from the outside of your house.
- Placing woodpiles away from the exterior of your home.
- Removing any piles of debris from your property.
- Removing bird feeders from your property or placing them a good distance from your home.
- Ensuring chimneys have tight-fitting caps and that vent covers are secure.
- Replacing any missing or broken roof shingles.
- Trimming back trees and shrubs from the foundation, roofline, and eaves (which chipmunks can otherwise use to enter your house).
If chipmunks have become a problem on your property or in your home, you can get safe and humane chipmunk removal by calling a professional. At ChemTec Pest Control, our animal control specialist will find and relocate any chipmunks causing problems (or any other garden pests!).
Our professionals will then be able to offer solutions to prevent future problems with these furry garden pests, including using exclusion methods and habit modification.
Get more information about chipmunk control, or schedule an appointment for chipmunk removal. Contact ChemTec Pest Control today!
Latest News & Blogs
28 FebruaryHow to Get Rid of Mice in Your House Fast
The last thing you want to find in your house…Read Post
14 FebruaryHow to Get Rid of Cockroaches in the House and Keep Them from Coming Back
Spring Pests: Cockroaches We can all agree that nobody wants…Read Post
28 JanuaryBrown Recluse vs. Black Widow Spiders in New Jersey
So you’ve found a large black or brown spider in…Read Post
Satisfaction Promise For Professional Squirrel Removal in New Jersey
At ChemTec Pest Control, we operate under a singular ideal: If our customers aren’t satisfied, we aren’t satisfied either.
If you still have a problem with a pest after we have conducted our pest control treatment, just call us and we will conduct another treatment for that pest for no charge as long as it’s within the warranty period. If after warranty retreatment you are still not satisfied, we will return your money.
We mean business when we say we guarantee your satisfaction, but of course from a QualityPro Certified pest control business, you would expect no less.
Be sure to ask about our unlimited service options! They guarantee results protecting you and controlling 60+ pests with guaranteed results.