When it comes to pest problems, there are few insects that can be as troublesome as cockroaches. Whether you have tiny, tan German cockroaches, or big, brown American cockroaches, the issues are going to be the same. Let’s take a closer look at this threat and see if we can find some solutions.
- They spread 33 kinds of harmful bacteria. Perhaps you’ve heard of some of them. When cockroaches invade, E.coli and Salmonella are almost always mentioned.
- They spread 7 kinds of human pathogen.
- They are linked to over 5 parasitic worms.
- They spread allergens that increase suffering for those who have asthma.
- When food resources are depleted, or there is an overpopulation of cockroaches, these insects can bite.
- Roaches are food for other creatures. When they get in, they become an attractant for the pests that eat them.
Why Cockroaches Come In
In order to understand what is necessary to get rid of cockroaches, it is important to understand why roaches come into a home. If you were to say food, you would be partly right. Food plays a major part. But you can get rid of all the food inside your home and still have cockroaches. Protecting your food will not get rid of cockroaches. It can, however, deter them.
Okay. So what works to get rid of cockroaches? It has to do with the other reason cockroaches come into a home: harborage. Roaches invade your home simply because it is a place to hide. The only way to effectively get rid of them is to stop cockroaches from coming in and then deal with the roaches that have already gotten in.
DIY Cockroach Solutions
If you don’t have cockroaches in your home yet, these tips can actually prevent an infestation from occurring. If you’re already dealing with cockroaches, the following tips will only help to reduce the problem.
- Make sure all exterior trash is in sealed cans. This will keep smells from luring more cockroaches onto your property.
- Make sure trash cans are cleaned routinely. If they smell like trash, it will have the same effect as leaving the lids off. Cockroaches love trash.
- Roaches prefer locations that are moist. If you have leaky spigots, leaky hoses, obstructed or damaged gutters, compacted soil, excessive shade, or some other condition that promotes moisture near your home, this will be welcoming to cockroaches.
- Cockroaches prefer leaves, sticks, bushes, and other natural cover. Establishing a 2-foot area around your foundation perimeter that is free of debris can help to deter cockroaches.
- Perform a detailed inspection of your exterior walls and foundation and seal any gaps, cracks, or holes you find. A caulking gun works well for this. Don’t worry about trapping cockroaches inside your home. The goal here is to prevent more roaches from getting in.
- Inside your home, cleanliness is key. Keep floors and rugs clean so that cockroaches can’t get a bite to eat. Put dishes in water, instead of next to the sink, until you’re able to wash them. And keep counters clean of crumbs and other food debris.
- Stored foods are particularly vulnerable to cockroaches. Roaches are able to chew through paper and cardboard to gain access. Consider investing in hard plastic, sealable containers to protect food that comes in paper or cardboard.
Deal With The Roaches Inside
Once you’ve sealed your walls, reduced attractants, and made it harder for cockroaches to find a bite of food inside your home, it is time to deal with the roaches that have gotten inside. We don’t give suggestions on this step because the use of baits and chemicals inside a home can be hazardous to pets, children, and adults. For this step, it is best to contact a pest control company.
Two Reasons To Call The Pros
- When it comes to exterminating cockroaches, it is best to trust someone who knows what products to use, where to apply those products, and what safety measures are required.
- A professional can also apply EPA-approved products to the outside of your home to bolster your defenses and keep cockroaches from finding an entry point you missed.
If you live in Bergen, Passaic, and Essex counties or elsewhere in our New Jersey service area, reach out to us. ChemTec Pest Control offers industry-leading pest control solutions for homes and businesses in New Jersey. Let our team of educated and experienced professionals make sure your home is roach-free. No home is better with cockroaches in it. Get assistance today.
Latest News & Blogs
21 MarchWhy You Shouldn’t Hesitate to Call ChemTec If You Have Bed Bugs
Imagine the horror of discovering that your home is infested…Read Post
19 MarchWhen Will Ants Start Returning to Union County Lawns?
In New Jersey, the cold weather is starting to pass.…Read Post
12 MarchProblems Pest Birds Bring to New Jersey Homes and Businesses
Some birds are absolutely beautiful and entertaining to watch in…Read Post
Ask about our unlimited service options protecting you and controlling 60+ pests with guaranteed results.
If you have a problem with the pest after our services, just call us and we will come back to retreat for that pest at no charge within the warranty period. If after a warranty retreatment you are still not satisfied, we will return your money.
We mean business when we say we guarantee your satisfaction*, but of course from a QualityPro Certified pest control business you would expect no less.