Winter is one of the seasons that many of us look forward to each year. The cooler weather, the long-sleeved clothing, and the reduction of insects that bother us throughout other parts of the year does nothing but increase our anticipation of this season.
When the weather begins to cool, many species of insects, including ants, will begin looking for a way to survive the winter chill. Ants can become especially irritating during the winter as they seek a warmer location to build up their colony. They strive to find a new place before the temperature drops even further, causing them to slow down, or eventually die.
Why Ants Get In
Colonies looking to survive the winter will often move indoors where the climate is much more comfortable for them to live. Additionally, ants that are itching to find a good location for their colony will take food availability into account. Your Essex home has both the warmth and the food that they are looking for.
Whether you live in Livingston, Glen Ridge, Montclair, Caldwell, Essex Fells, or Roseland—when it comes to protecting your home from pesky insect invaders such as ants, precautionary steps should always be taken. You want to make your home as unappealing to pests as possible. Preventative measures often stop ants before they have a chance to invade, keeping ants off your property before they infest your home.
How to Keep Ants Out of Your Home
Here are a few steps you can take to improve your chances to repel ants:
- Trim back overgrown trees, bushes, and other foliage from the exterior walls of your Essex County home.
- Don’t leave pet food outdoors overnight.
- Make sure all trash bins have tight-fitting lids, and that trash is taken away from your property regularly.
- Install door sweeps on doors that lead outside.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink or on counters.
- Store your food in sealed, airtight containers.
- Repair or caulk gaps, cracks, and crevices in the foundation and exterior walls of your home.
- Make sure windows close properly.
How to Get Rid of Ants
Taking steps to ensure that your home is protected is a great first step to achieving a pest-free home, but contacting a trusted pest control expert is always the best option to secure a pest-free environment. Here at ChemTec Pest Control, our licensed pest professionals will do everything they can to help you with your pest-related goals.
The trick to eliminating ants from your home is to locate their nests and create treatment plans specific to your Essex County home’s needs. Never let ants ruin your winter.