With the change in seasons comes a change in pests that may be found inside and outside of your home. Each summer brings a whole new array of pests for New Jersey homeowners for which they need to be on the lookout. A few of the common summer invaders are fleas, ticks, and stinging insects among many others. To help prevent your home and property from unnecessary pest problems this summer, it is important to learn these summer pest proofing tips for the inside and outside of your home.
Inside pest proofing:
- Check all windows to make sure they have screens intact that fit securely with no holes or tears.
- Wipe up spills and crumbs in the kitchen as soon as they happen.
- Keep all open food stored in containers with tight fitting lids.
- Take out the trash regularly and keep it stored in bins with lids that secure closed.
- Vacuum regularly to avoid the spread of fleas. This goes for pet and non-pet owners.
- Check yourself for ticks as soon as you get back inside after being in an area with tall grass or deep woods. Click here for steps on how to check yourself for ticks.
Outside pest proofing:
- Cut back bushes and shrubs so they do not touch the side of your home.
- Remove all debris from your yard, especially any wood that is present so that carpenter ants and termites stay away.
- Redirect water to flow away from your property to avoid moist conditions which may attract many pests.
- Remove any stagnant water which is the breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Mow your lawn regularly to avoid ticks from hiding in the grass and waiting to hop onto humans or pets.
By following these summer pest proofing tips you should be well on your way to a pest-free summer season in Bergen, Essex, Somerset and other counties throughout Northern New Jersey, as well as the Rockland county area of New York. But if the summer pests have found their way onto your property or inside of your home, then it is time to contact ChemTec Pest Control. The NJ experts in pest control will be able to put a stop to summer pest invaders with guaranteed effective home pest solutions.