Is your home the place where all the teenagers hang out? If this is the case, chances are your home is also the place where there is plenty of food available for those teenagers. The same is true for spiders. If you are seeing lots of spiders around or, worse, inside your Summit, New Providence, Westfield, or Cranford home, chances are, you also have plenty of food for those spiders to consume. But spiders do not eat pizza, chips, and soda. They eat other pests, and their primary source of food is flies. Since fly populations increase in the springtime, it stands to reason that spider populations increase as well.
If you want to stop teens from hanging out at your house, stop feeding them. The same goes for spiders. To get rid of spiders it is important to effectively get rid of the food that is attracting them and keeping them around. This is where effective pest control methods come into play.
How To Keep Pests Away From Your Union County Home
There are two areas you need to focus on if you want to keep spiders and other pests away from your home: outside your home, and inside your home. If you can keep pests to a minimum outside, there will be less chance of pests trying to get inside. And if you can keep conditions inside your home less hospitable to pests, there will be less of a chance they will stick around if they do get inside.
- Remove food sources for flies outside your home. Keep trash in containers with tight-fitting lids. Do not leave pet food outside. And clean up after barbecues or other events where food is outside. Covering trash will also reduce breeding sites for flies.
- Eliminate water sources for pests. Make sure all gutters are clear and in good repair so water is channeled well away from your home. Fix leaky spigots or hoses. And remove any unnecessary items that collect water in your yard.
- Examine the outside of your home and seal up any gaps, cracks or holes that you find. It doesn’t take much of a space for spiders to get in.
- Make sure all of your window and door screens are in good working order to keep flies and other pests out.
- Keep the inside of your home free from food sources for flies and other pests.
- Keep things as dry as possible by fixing water leaks and using fans and/or dehumidifiers to dry things out.
- Make sure all trash is in sturdy containers with lids.
- Store food either inside the fridge or freezer, in sealed plastic, or in containers with tight-fitting lids.
The Best Way To Keep Spiders Away
If you are interested in becoming spider-free, consider reaching out to the professionals here at ChemTec Pest Control. While we can’t help you with those freeloading teenagers, our team CAN help with freeloading spiders. Give us a call to learn more about the PestGuard Home Protection Plan.