Problems Squirrels Cause Inside New York and New Jersey Homes
Posted on 01.11.19 in Animal Control
Squirrels can be very entertaining as they scurry across your yard gathering up nuts for the winter. They like to climb trees like acrobats, and cleverly make their way up to bird feeders that have been constructed to prevent them from getting at your birdseed. Squirrels, however, are not so cute when they break into your home. Sure, they are just looking for warmth, shelter, and a place to store their winter food supply, but your home is no place for them.
Inside a home, they can cause serious structural damage by ripping up insulation and damaging walls. They can spread disease, bring in parasites, and bite or scratch if they feel threatened or cornered. They will also leave behind the distinct smell of their urine and feces which can be difficult to remove. It is essential to keep these little guys out of homes from the start.
The most common squirrels in New York and New Jersey are eastern gray squirrels and southern flying squirrels. These squirrels typically do not hibernate and will continue to be a problem throughout the year if you do not take preventative action, or eradicate them from your home when they get in.
Stopping squirrels from living on your property can be nearly impossible, but to keep them from entering your home, you can follow these tips:
- Block all entry points by sealing cracks, crevices, and gaps in the foundation and siding.
- Secure weak areas in the exterior of your home that could be torn for an entry point.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed and well away from your home to stop squirrels from getting up on top of your home where they may find a compromised chimney cap or plumbing mat.
- Inspect soffits and vents to be sure that they are secure and intact.
- Put bird feeders a distance away from your home (attempt to squirrel proof them).
- Keep trash bins stored with tight-fitting lids and away from your home.
- Make sure your gutters are not clogged and that they are directing water away from your home to prevent damaged wood that would allow squirrels to gain entry.
- Clear your yard of clutter and messy piles that draw squirrels to your property in close proximity to your home.
If you want to prevent squirrels from making your home their own, call on ChemTec Pest Control for complete protection. Don’t try to remove them on your own, as it could be dangerous. Our wildlife control specialists can safely and humanely remove squirrels, and help you prevent future problems by implementing exclusion methods. Contact us today to find out more, we are happy to help.