Each summer as the weather heats up we all have to deal with the added stress of more bugs and more insects flying, buzzing and crawling around our properties. Perhaps one of the worst encounters is with mosquitoes. These insects are capable of ruining outdoor events and sending us running for the hills (or at least inside). Not only are they a major nuisance for New Jersey homeowners but mosquitoes also can spread diseases through their injecting bites. The good news, there are ways that you can control and prevent mosquitoes from turning your summer of fun into a summer spent indoors.
Surprisingly to many, it is only female mosquitoes that bite us. They require blood as a source of nutrients to keep their eggs healthy and developing. Also, mosquitoes breed in areas of stagnant water which means that properties with drainage issues, swampy areas or those with ponds, or pools are at a much greater risk of having a major mosquito problem. In either case, the reason that we want to avoid mosquito bites is due to the fact that mosquitoes can carry diseases such as West Nile Virus and each bite is an injection into your skin.
Top mosquito control methods:
- Remove any sources of stagnant, standing water from your property. This includes buckets, cans, toys, and plant pots, anything that collects water.
- Clean out gutters of any debris that could lead to water collecting.
- Be sure that ditches are flowing with water and not standing still. You may have to re-dig them in order to get a flow of water.
- Consider a screened in porch instead of an open porch. This could allow you to have bug free cookouts and relaxing afternoons on the deck.
- Keep pools and hot tubs covered when they are not being used.
- Avoid outdoor events at peak mosquito times which include dawn, dusk, and early evening hours.
- Apply insect repellent when necessary.
- Consider mosquito net hats and clothing that will cover the skin when you are going to be in an area known to have a lot of mosquitoes.
By following these mosquito control tips you should be well on your way to a more enjoyable summer with less interference of these pests. But keep in mind that in some cases, preventative measures alone are not enough to really get rid of mosquitoes. After all there are millions of mosquitoes being born each day. If you are still finding them to be a problem on your property than it is best to call in the pros.
ChemTec Pest Control offers mosquito control services that are designed specifically to your NJ property and your needs. Our friendly service technicians will be able to help eliminate their breeding grounds so that you are not overtaken by mosquitoes this summer. Simply contact us today to learn more about our mosquito services for Bergen, Essex, and Somerset counties of New Jersey as well as Rockland County in New York.