Fall is here! Can you feel it in the air? That cool and crisp feeling brings thoughts of pumpkins, apples and falling leaves; for the professionals at ChemTec, it brings thoughts of all the rodents that will be looking to get into homes and businesses in our area! Not a very nice thought, but something we all need to be thinking about nonetheless. Mice and rats know that winter is coming, so they are getting prepared, looking for places to nest and raise their families that are protected from the cold winter temperatures. Your home makes a fantastic hideaway, especially if the conditions are just right for these invading pests. Here are some excellent mouse-proofing tips from the NJ pest control pros at ChemTec Pest Control to help keep your home from being invaded by these opportunistic pests.
- Examine the outside of your home or business; are there any gaps or tiny holes that they can get through? The house mouse can enter through a hole the diameter of a dime, while rats can enter through holes the diameter of a quarter. If you have any holes at all, rodents may make the holes wider by chewing, so it is very important that you close up holes on the exterior to keep rodents (and other pest invaders, like insects) out.
- Reduce food sources that rodents have access to. Keep food off your counter tops, clean spills and pick up crumbs whenever they fall. Regularly clean stove tops and always clean areas around, behind and underneath appliances to eliminate crumbs you may not see on a daily basis.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink or bowls of water out overnight. These can give rodents the water they need.
- Store pet food, dry food and birdseed in airtight containers.
- Keep storage areas free of clutter so that rodents have fewer hiding places. Attics, basements and closets shouldn’t have items stored in cardboard boxes; you should always store important belongings in hard sided and tightly lidded plastic containers.
- Maintain the exterior of your property, keeping tree branches and shrubs trimmed back away from your home. Remove old debris, rock piles and old equipment, as these make for good rodent hiding areas.
For more information on rodent control, check out our rodent identification page; this offers pictures of mice as well as descriptions of what mice and rats look like. For complete control of these pests and home pest control services to keep pests out of your home throughout the year, please give the professionals at ChemTec a call today. Our GreenTec Home Pest Protection program is residential pest control service for New Jersey homeowners that includes careful inspection, preventative measures, management reports, free emergency response and a money back guarantee. Please contact us for more information on any of the pest control services we provide and we’d be happy to set up your first inspection!