Pests are ever encroaching but not all pests encroach the same way. If you want to keep pests out of your home, you need to know all of the many reasons that bring bugs and furry creatures up close to your home and change those conditions.
- Flies come in close when there is an open trash, a juice cup, or something similar outside of your home. Flies and other insects are also attracted to lights. Replacing your exterior white bulbs with insect-resistant yellow bulbs, and keeping shades closed at night will go a long way toward reducing a wide range of pests in your yard.
- Spiders eat flies. The more flies you have, the more spiders you’ll have. Reducing one will reduce the other.
- Moisture pests are drawn to moist ground and moist wood. If you have a leaky spigot or hose, you can expect to have millipedes, centipedes, earwigs, silverfish, termites, and other moisture pests come to explore your walls.
- Mice, rats, and bugs feel more at home in a yard that has tall grass, weeds, leaf litter, and lots of hiding places. Keep things neat and tidy to resist pests.
- Some pests congregate on exterior walls when it gets cold outside. There isn’t a lot you can do about this. Keeping those bugs away (and out of your house) requires a sprayed treatment.
- Pests that eat blood come into your yard to feed on you. Flying pests, like mosquitoes, can be managed by controlling moisture and eliminating still water resources, but effective control requires a sprayed treatment. Blood-eating parasites, like fleas, ticks, and others, come into your yard on furry animals and birds. The treatments that terminate mosquitoes also work to terminate ticks as well. And other parasites can be managed by managing wildlife, especially rodents, which chew their way into homes and spread those parasites around.
- Pests that come onto your property to damage your property, like termites, carpenter ants, carpenter bees, and such, can be resisted by preventing wood rot and by sealing entry points, but baits and treatments are the only effective way to control them.
These are only a few of the many conditions that make your home interesting to pests. Controlling these conditions and applying the right pest management methods and treatments when required, can keep these unwanted creatures out of your home.
If you need assistance making your home pest-free in 2018, the ChemTec team uses industry-leading Integrated Pest Management methods and products to effectively manage pests inside and outside of New Jersey homes. Reach out to ChemTec Today. We look forward to serving you in the new year!
Happy New Year from the pest experts here at Chemtec Pest Control!