If you’ve ever watched the movie, A Bug’s Life, you likely found yourself rooting for Flick and his ant friends. Unfortunately in the real world, ants aren’t all that endearing and in fact can be a major nuisance. Worse, some ants are capable of damaging your home. Because they are troublesome pests (especially in the summer), we’ve put together an infographic of the most common types of ants in New Jersey. Check it out!
Types Of Ants
Carpenter ants commonly infest wood structures and can cause major structural damage.
- Eats other insects and food from our kitchens
- Will enter into homes through any openings around windows, doors, and the foundation
Odorous House Ants
Odorous house ants are often found in walls or beneath floors of buildings, but will nest anywhere.
- Most likely to invade during rainy weather
- Prefer sweet items, but will also feed on meats and grease
- Smell of rotten coconut when crushed
Pavement ants invade buildings while foraging for food, nesting indoors in walls, and under floors.
- Prefer to eat greasy foods
- Enter buildings through cracks in foundation walls and interior slabs
- Found in all 50 states
Ant Prevention Tips
- To make your house less attractive to ants, remove entry points by caulking or sealing cracks and crevices around the foundation or elsewhere on the exterior.
- Eliminate food sources inside the building or prevent access to food by keeping it in ant-proof containers.
- Provide a dry border, such as gravel or stones, around the perimeter of the home’s foundation to discourage nest building.
If you think you have an ant infestation in your home, contact ChemTec Pest Control today!