Summer is almost here! School is winding down (or over), the days are getting longer the smell of grilling is in the air! As we all start to head outdoors and enjoy the warmer weather we will have increased encounters with pests. You see, insects like the warmer temperatures also. Some of the most common NJ insects that have a spring and summer influx are ants, spiders and mosquitoes.
Ants. They seem so harmless. But are they really? Here are a few of New Jerseys most common ants:
- The most common house ant is the black “Odorous House Ant”. These are the ones that you see in and around your kitchen and pantry. They are have a strong odor when crushed. While these little scavengers are not a health risk, but they can contaminate stored foods.
- Pavement Ants are small dark brown ant. They make themselves at home under concrete and are just a nuisance, until their colonies get so large that they are swarming the pavement of sidewalk or homes built on slabs.
- Pharaoh Ants build their nests just about anywhere sheltered and warm. These small yellow ants have red and black marks on their abdomens. They make their nests in wall cavities, cabinet voids, behind refrigerators and baseboards, in hollows of curtain rods and the folds of clothes, just to name a few. These guys are of concern in hospitals and care facilities because they have the ability to carry and spread virus’ and disease.
These are just a few of the ants that reside in New Jersey. If you think you have a problem with any of these ants you can try a few common steps keep them at bay:
- Keep counters clear of food crumbs and spilled liquids
- Keep sink and dishes rinsed clean
- Remove trash on a daily basis
- Keep trash indoors and outdoors covered with a tight lid
- Store food in airtight containers
- Do not leave dog food sitting in bowls for any length of time
- Remove and prevent standing water inside and outside
Following these tips can help make your home not as appealing to ants but clearing your home from ants is job best left to the professionals.
Spiders are another insect that seems to increase in the warmer weather. They will suddenly pop up in eaves, basements and corners of rooms. The majority of spiders in NJ are harmless. The common house spider and the wolf spider are the vast majority of spiders that we deal with. Spiders can help keep the fly and insect population down a little by catching them in their nests and devouring them. There are only 2 types of harmful spiders in New Jersey. The brown recluse and the black widow spiders can be found here, but they are quite rare. Both of them have a painful bite and can be dangerous, especially in children or the elderly. If you feel that you have been bitten by one of these spiders, seek medical attention immediately.
Mosquitoes are an ever present, and overly abundant summer time pest! These winged blood suckers are everywhere. Breeding takes place in any type of standing water. Their life cycle and breeding cycle is very short and quick so they are almost constantly being replenished. These buzzing pests can carry diseases and virus’. They have been documented as carrying some well known diseases like:
- Yellow Fever
- West Nile Virus
- Canine Heartworm
Mosquitoes are very hard eradicate. It is possible, however, to cut down on their attraction to you and your property. Here are some tips on combating mosquitoes:
- Wear loose protective clothing with minimal skin exposed
- Use insect repellant on clothes and skin
- Remove and prevent standing water
- Repair or replace any damaged window or door screens
Summer time should be a time that NJ residents get outside and enjoy the warm weather without worrying about insects or pests hindering their fun. Here at Chemtec we offer complete pest control plans to do just that. Because we want to help you to have a more enjoyable summer we are offering exclusive summertime coupons! We have discounted perimeter treatments and coupons for pest control service to keep your summer fun and pest free!