Bed bugs were once almost completely eradicated, but unfortunately, due to the ease and affordability of travel, and other factors like a resistance to many insecticides, bed bugs have undergone a dramatic resurgence and unfortunately have once again become a worldwide phenomenon. Bed bugs have become a pest that is constantly in the news, and have become a constant worry and threat to homeowners. In fact, they have become such a hot topic that with the click of your computer’s mouse you can probably find hundreds of different DIY ways to completely “get rid” of an infestation from your home. Some common DIY answers to bed bugs include the use of cedar oil, neem oil, vinegar, or even throwing out your home’s mattresses and box springs. And while some of these “highly effective” products or ideas look promising, the truth is that they are very unlikely to work and it does take a professional with experience to completely eliminate anything more than the mildest bed bug infestation from a property.
While it is true that there are a lot of scams or uninformed approaches out there to controlling and eliminating bed bugs, the professionals at ChemTec are here to tell you that there are some good prevention tips that can actually help homeowners avoid an infestation. To make the process of discovering which prevention ideas do work we did the research for you, and have come up with a list 2017’s top 5 bed bug prevention tips!
- Know How They Can Get into Your Home. Before you can stop bed bugs from entering your home, you first need to know how they can get inside of your home in the first place. We all know that you can bring them home with you in your luggage after traveling, but they can also invade many other ways. Family or friends that visit your ho me may unknowingly bring bed bugs with them. You may bring them home with you after visiting a different household, or your kids may bring them home from school or a friend’s house. They can also be brought into your home on second-hand furniture.
- Know What Bed Bugs Look Like. Knowing what bed bugs look like will help you to identify their presence the moment you see one, allowing you to get the professional help you need to get rid of them as soon as possible. Adults are reddish-brown in color, grow to about 1/4 of an inch in length, have a flat oval-shaped body, six legs, and two antennae. Their immature nymphs are about the size of the tip of a pencil and before feeding are tannish in color and after feeding are a bright, very noticeable red in color.
- Be Aware of The Signs of a Bed Bug Infestation. Bed bugs are nice enough to leave homeowners some tell-tale signs of their presence, helping you to be able to eliminate an infestation sooner rather than later if you know what to look for. Some of the most common signs include noticing black streaks or red dots in the seams of mattresses, box springs or upholstered furniture, or on sheets and pillowcases. Finding piles of shed exoskeletons on the floor or underneath of mattresses and box springs. Another common sign of bed bugs includes noticing a sickly sweet odor in the air.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings. Understand that bed bugs really can be found almost anywhere. Always inspect a new environment that you are visiting for bed bugs and their signs. Keep bags, coats, purses and other personal belongings up off of the ground. Routinely wash all outerwear that you and your family wear on a daily basis in hot water.
- Keep a Clutter-Free Home. While bed bugs don’t discriminate and will invade any home, clean, dirty, dusty, or immaculate all the same, having a lot of clutter in your home will give them more places to hide unnoticed. The longer an infestation goes unnoticed the more time it has to gain momentum before you have the chance to realize that there is a problem. The less clutter that is found in your home the fewer places there are for bed bugs to hide and remain unnoticed.
The above prevention tips are a great way to maintain a bed bug free home, but as we all know, nothing in life is guaranteed. Bed bugs are very hard to avoid, and if they ever do make their way into your home, know that the pest control experts at ChemTec Pest Control have very effective, fast solutions for bed bugs. Our bed bug control service provides customers with a thorough inspection performed by our trained professionals followed by three treatments, during which our technicians will use safe, specialized materials to ensure all adult bed bugs, eggs, and nymphs are completely eliminated from your home and that a re-infestation does not occur. To learn more about our bed bug control services including our 6-month bed bug guarantee or our mattress and box spring encasements, get in touch with us today! Let’s work together to ensure that your home remains bed bug free in 2018 just like it did in 2017!